A Very Westgaterie Decade.

Sunday 14 September 2014

It was only a matter of time before I wrote a blog post regarding this rather important aspect of my life. Similarly to my obsessive inclination towards Star Wars, people who know me are subject to outbursts of a Westgate nature. For those who don’t know, I play clarinet with the Westgate Concert Band; a community outfit comprising of roughly 40 members who come together on a Saturday morning in Braybrook to rehearse music. We have regular concerts and play-outs as well as social events.

I joined the band in February of 2004. My VCE Music studies necessitated I play with an ensemble and as my High School had none to offer my teacher suggested I go along. It is so strange to think how terrified I was, how my initial plan was to stay as long as I needed to satisfy my VCE requirements and then be on my way whereas now I cannot picture my life without Westgate in it. Last night I received my Ten Year Badge (as well as another honour for my services to the group, one that quite overwhelmed me) and stumbled through a rambling, emotional speech in response. Westgate as an entity, is difficult to articulate but I’m damn sure going to give it a try.

I’m very fortunate to come from a large, loving family (my Mum is one of eight, my Dad one of seven) but I unknowingly stumbled into another fab-fam of sorts when I anxiously attended my first rehearsal so many Saturdays ago. Families aren’t perfect but even so, you can’t help but love them; the same is true of this fantastic group of people. Obviously, musically, Westgate has given me so much (and continues to) but it's more than that. Within the band, I have been guided, supported, mentored, protected and inspired by a special, generous few, whose formative impact on my life has been invaluable. Westgate is the safest, most accepting environment I have ever come across. Honestly, I struggle to recall who I was before Westgate. They took a cowardly, sixteen-year-old shell of a human and gave her the freedom and courage to be herself. Weekly love, support, generosity and validation from a group of people who aren’t obligated in any way to do so is just simply impossible to repay.

I have no idea what is coming in the years ahead for me (well, except for some brand new Star Wars movies, woo-freaking-hoo!) but I know that Westgate will be there and I am forever grateful. I doubt I will ever be finished recompensing the debt I owe this band. 


No comments:

Post a Comment