Explosive Expletives.

Sunday 3 August 2014



I’ve dropped a fair few unladylike f-bombs recently in civilized conversation. I’m not proud of it. As of late it has become habitual more than necessary and while I’m not overly prudish about that sort of thing I do tend to internally wince (see my earlier blog post about awkwardness) at the useless vulgarity.

It might be a teacher thing; I have to be so careful in my day-to-day that for some reason I feel the compulsion to fill some absurd explicit-language-quota elsewhere. I barely notice its occurrence in media or literature unless it’s that other awfully over-used word I definitely never utter and loathe to hear. I know lots of people swear and they do it lots of the time. I’m not judging them for it, not at all, but I like to delude myself into thinking I adore language. Words, sentences, paragraphs laced with vivid description, evocative content; tall tales and honest communication. So I guess it just feels like a wasted chance to say something better.

Most importantly, I don’t want my interactions with people to be defined by such a lazy choice of vocabulary on my part. I do enjoy making up words (or using weird derivations or reductions of existing words) which probably seems pretty hypocritical with me having just claimed to love the art of eloquent articulation. I would however rather that be the aspect of my loquaciousness people recall.


No comments:

Post a Comment