Awwwkward.

Saturday 26 July 2014



Let me paint you a picture. You’re walking along, taking confident strides because you’re on a mission, in fact if you were any more assured of your footing it’d appear to the outside world you were strutting to some imaginary upbeat soundtrack. You’ve totes got your stuff all worked out. And then, out of the blue, treacherously even, you stub your toe on an uneven section of pavement, scuff inelegantly along concrete, arms leaping into action; their instinctive but involuntarily clumsy flailing providing little stability but a lot of attention-drawing-focus as you attempt the most flustered I-absolutely-meant-to-do-that stumble ever. 


 This kind of thing happens to me all the time. Seriously. I don’t know if I just judge myself harshly or possess some predisposition to quick-as-a-flash-self-criticism but it’s crazy how often I feel just awkward. Feeling like I don’t fit into my body properly (aforementioned elite pavement-plodding). Waving at someone who it turns out I’ve never actually met and wasn’t in fact waving at me in the first place (this happened twice within the last fortnight, not even kidding folks!). Flashing the cute guy at Kmart my friendliest-yes-I-have-lady-parts smile before getting back in the car and realizing with horror that I had food in my teeth. The list goes on. Oh, and not to mention the worst; my many conversational giraffes (their like gaffes but so much taller). Ever been in the midst of social interaction and said or did something so awkward you just wanted to chew your own jaw off? I do! Almost on a daily basis! Sometimes I have to clench my fists and take deep breaths to prevent my eyes from rolling while I’m still stuck talking to the unfortunate recipient of my face-palm moment lest they think they’re the cause.

It’s almost like these painfully cringe-worthy moments happen so that the universe can provide us with a reality check, you know? Like, yes Lyn, your boots make grown-up-I’ve-got-an-important-job-to-do-noises as you walk across the courtyard but let’s not forget that this morning you almost poured water into your porridge rather than milk. Or, okay, you want to spread some Happy Chappy cheer and smile a greeting at random people? Fine, just be sure you’re willing to accept the don’t-stare-and-smile-at-me-crazy-person-stranger look in return. Trying too hard to be funny or intelligent or likeable in conversation Lyn? Ha! Never fear! A wickedly treacherous sentence or two will leap from your lips to ensure you look like a complete idiot. Ahhh. Cue ensuing awkward grunts, winces and warbling noises[i]. I’m off to stab my kneecap with a fork in recollection of my awkwardisms (past, present and future!)


[i] For a compilation of these exact sounds, please check out this 6.15 of the linked video – Everything Wrong With Twilight in 6 Minutes or Less. A few of my friends and I refer to making “Kristen Stewart awkward noises” and this is totally what we’re talking about. Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment