One Giant Leap for Lyn-kind.

Saturday 12 July 2014



It’s been a year. A year ago today. July 12, 2013 was quite the shift for me. Figuratively and literally. I left home for the first time. Packed all my crap in my car, bought a whole bunch of fab new furniture and other stuff and flew the nest. Might be more accurate to say I tumbled out, arms flailing (didn’t set anything on fire or live off toast for six months after, just missed my folks something chronic) but I still departed.

I know, I know… Took me ages. It probs seems very pathetic to a lot of folks but there were reasons I hadn’t left yet. Some societal. Some financial. My twin brother moved four years earlier, and I know lots of people who had been out of home much sooner. Kudos to you! 



I feel like this myth is perpetuated through our youth that you’ll finish school, snag your life partner and move out with them. Get hitched, travel the world, have kidlets and put your hand up for a mortgage. All of that. Truth is, I was totes waiting for that and it didn’t come. I was yay for moving out before I did but had no one to move with and everyone loved telling me how impossible it would be for me to get rental approval with no previous history and all on my lonesome. So I waited. School was expensive so I stayed at home. Bought a car that got smashed up by bogans in a ute (thankfully I was safe!) so then had to kinda start again. Bought some instruments (what’s the muso-equipment version of a “fur-baby”?) too. Paid off HECS. Whatevs. If I’m honest, I also just like hanging with my parents. They’re pretty awesomesauce. As happy fortune would have it, my wanting-to-move-timing suited the new fiancés in my life and as one had already shared a womb with me, things fell into place rather fab-o for all three of us.

I’m glad I did it but it hasn’t been a spectacular year. Life crap. Some real shit stuff. Family heartaches that made being away from my folks rough. But, nevertheless, a year it has been. A big one. Always felt embarrassed for staying at home as long as I did (though I say yay to those who were out sooner and those who aren’t out yet equally) but everyone has a different path, I guess. I know there was great risk of me just staying there forever, trapped in my little cage of fear. Not sure what lies ahead but at least if I end up being a crazy-cat-lady-nanna-hermit I’ll be doing it in my own space. And I kind of love that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment