Experiencing Technical Difficulties.

Sunday 25 May 2014



There are a lot of things I like about living in the modern world (plenty I don’t, too, but that’s another blog post entirely) and the technological capabilities available to us is certainly a biggie. I love the ease with which I can create, develop, research, communicate, save, manage, retrieve, learn, connect, help, teach, experience and live. It allows me to share a little of myself with the world, whilst getting to know certain sides of those around me. The dichotomy that exists; sometimes the online and connected world can make you feel part of something on a grand scale whilst at other moments, lending perspective and making you aware of your own isolated, fragile identity. I value the immediacy with which I can communicate through this technological forum. I use a lot of social media but I also carry on a great deal of my correspondence via text, email and WeChat. (Don’t know that app? Well get on it. Now. Thank me later.) Technology helps me follow the going-ons of family interstate, advertise things I’m passionate about drawing attention to and facilitated one of my most enduring and vital friendships with my northern hemisphere way-more-than-an-ordinary-pen-pal-sitch girlie. I am grateful for technology for sure… but I also know I rely a little too much on its existence in my life. 

  
I realise of course the irony of this post; as I sit here, furiously typing away, ready to share and connect online through my blog and social media, utilising the wi-fi internet I feel so Neanderthal without.  I spent nearly two hours this morning trying to sort out issues with my iTunes/iPod and it still isn’t resolved. The level of frustration it elicited as it drew out through my otherwise leisurely Sunday morning was absurd. I’m beyond irritated because I can’t store my ridiculously large and ever-expanding music conveniently in one device that will enable me to respond to every musical-mood-whim that may possess me… and it isn’t an isolated incident. You should see the defeated sigh I give when I realise my battery is below 20% but I can’t be bothered going and plugging my phone in to charge! Or when someone calls me and the reception makes chit-chat impossible. Don’t even get me started on internet troubles… It’s like I forget how to human when the wi-fi is down. I would certainly be a very different teacher (Sibelius notation software I’m looking at you!) but it’s more than that, I can recall the time before the internet/smart-phone/social media explosion but I can’t imagine my future without it. I am saddened and scared by how dependent I am.

  
I live in the moment. I recognise magic around me in people, places, experiences and vocation. I don’t speak to people in public hidden behind my R2-D2 screen or block the world out with headphones. I am thankful I can communicate in real time with my nearest and dearest (in fact I will always delight in the memory of Nan’s face when she realised the “letter” we had sent my Uncle in France the night before already had a reply waiting for her) and keep myself updated on things that matter to me. I just wish I didn’t feel like such a petulant child when the technology I so fervently rely on inevitably stumbles and fails. What about you? What would you do without all this technology stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment