Mad Hatter.

Friday 16 May 2014





We are a society who wear many, many hats. I don’t mean decorative head-wear when I say this (I’m always dealing in extremes with hats on my head; either they look fab or they look dreadful, no in-between) rather, I’m referring to the different sides of ourselves. I know that personally I juggle a few various hats as Lyn, some getting more frequent wear than others.

The Educator
Such a versatile addition to any ensemble, this hat! Equal parts empathy, exhaustion, over-the-top-organisation, energy, politics, passion, frustration, patience, ambition, vocation and a smidge of insanity. 

The Pretending-To-Be-An-Adult
This one is still waaaay too big for me. Like, seriously, the brim is so wide I have trouble finding my way but even so, I own it and I do drag it out every now and then. If I’m lucky someday I’ll even grow into it… but I doubt it. 

The Delirious & Silly
Ah, this one is loud and raucous and absurd. Glary hues, exaggerated shapes and topped with some hilarious, entertaining but also high-voltage (and often excruciatingly annoying for those in the nearby vicinity) pom-poms. 

The Obsessive-Appreciator
So this one is totes my hipster hat; it shelters me with big nerdy ear-flaps that allow me to love stuff (film, TV, music, literature, anything!) without hearing a bad word said against them. It’s just one big emotional, inspirational, passionate train-wreck of a fan-bonnet.

The Crazy-Cat-Lady-Hermit
An old familiar beanie of mine. It’s a bit worse-for-wear and sometimes I wear it more than I probably should but it both comforts and rejuvenates me. Even though it smells a smidge funky and doesn’t do particularly well at playing with the other head-garments.

The list above only really names a few! I feel like I’m constantly battling myself; a bunch of hats fighting for prominence in my wardrobe. Occasionally I’ll try to wear more than one at once, the results either hysterical or disastrous. One thing is for sure though – I’ve gone through a lot of hats so far and will encounter many more, I expect… all of them are me. In some way, if even in the smallest way, they serve their purpose.

How many hats do you wear? Maybe it’s time to change up the rotation and put one away? Or buy a brand new fancy schmancy one?

No comments:

Post a Comment