May The Fourth Be With You.

Sunday 4 May 2014



I’m totes proud of myself. I resisted writing about Star Wars until my fourth blog entry. Like there were three other actual topics I addressed before having a delightfully nerdy freak-out. May not seem like a demonstration of will but in fact it’s quite a big dealio. The people in my life are well aware of my intervention-might-be-required-soon level of love for the greatest galactic saga ever told; mostly because I’m incapable (and unwilling now, for the longest time) of withholding my passion for it. I revel in my obsession so much that it has quite assuredly manifested itself in all areas of my life. Future hubby? You better be a fan because I’m telling you right now, any other eventuality will be a deal-breaker.  



I am a massive sci-fi/fantasy fan. Huge. Blame my fantastic parents. My brother and I were raised on some great examples of film literature and I am very grateful. It wouldn’t matter where we were in the house, or what we were busying ourselves with, the second we heard the Twentieth Century Fanfare blaring through the home-theatre system we would race down to the front room and be wonderfully transported to a world where the Falcon was our mode of transport, a Jedi lightsaber our weapon of choice and a bunch of rebels our best friends. Despite the flaws, despite the plot holes or the dodgy effects, even in spite of additional added material (seriously, why is Jabba even in A New Hope?) I adore it. Every single frame. It’s an intrinsic part of who I am.



In fact, I owe my passion and career to Star Wars. John Williams wrote some masterful, emotive, memorable and truly epic music to score the adventures that span those films and from the earliest age I can recall that element impacting upon me just as powerfully as seeing a sassy (but short) brunette doing her thing. I vividly remember my first foray into music. I was eight years old and my primary school music teacher asked me if I wanted to have recorder lessons, if I wanted to learn music. I know without a doubt that the only thing my little eight-year-old brain comprehended as music in that sense was what I had heard in films, most specifically, the John Williams Star Wars efforts. I immediately said yes because although I was too young to fully understand, somewhere in my subconscious I sensed the inexplicable connection I had with the art-form. So yes, I love the characters, the story, the overwhelmingly joyous feeling that envelops me when I watch the movies… but it is far more entrenched in my sense of self than people could possibly realise. Star Wars led me to music.

Are you a fan? If so, how will you be celebrating May the 4th?

No comments:

Post a Comment